Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thankful



My life took an unexpected turn 2 weeks ago. I had been having some pain around my breast bone that would come and go so I went to the Doctor and we thought I had some acid reflux because I wasn't having any other symptoms. We did an upper GI and it was normal so Tim Paden said let's do a stress test just to make sure. I went to Dr. Camp's office and we did a stress test. They read it and said well they see a little something but I am having no other symptoms and it may be breast tissue, but the only way to know for sure is an angiogram. So 2 weeks ago I went in for an angiogram and a 95% blockage showed up in a V of an artery. Everything else was clear. They couldn't use a stint because of the location of the blockage. They think it is a genetic thing because my Dad actually had a heart attack when he was 48. I am 46. It was in a weird place in the heart and a long skinny blockage. They said I probably wouldn't have survived if I had actually had a heart attack but since they caught it, it was repaired and there was no damage. THANKFUL! Ladies if you hear anything remember. My only symptom was a pain like acid reflux pain. No shoulder pain, no nausea, no shortness of breath. Evidently women's symptoms are totally different. If I can help one person then it was worth it. I have learned to be very THANKFUL and GRATEFUL for many things. God allowed me to be healed and I am so thankful. The kindness shown to me during this past 2 weeks has been overwhelming. My church family for one has been praying for me and bringing food and sending cards, and calling. My friends have been here for me helping me and sending flowers and food and gifts. My family immediately came to the hospital that Wednesday to be with me before the surgery. Even my cousin and her husband drove immediately from Jackson, Mississippi to be by my side that night. Of course John, and Lauren and Seth were held up by such good friends. They were well taken care of. They surgery went great. They didn't have to put me on a heart lung machine which is good and they used a mammory artery. The mammory artery ended up spasming so they had to use a small artery from my leg so that wasn't bad at all. Everything went great. I was in intensive care for 2 days and then I moved to the cardiac floor. I cannot tell you how wonderful our hospital is. Those nurses were my best friends and were soo nice. We have alot of Dr. friends who checked on me everyday. Dr. Paden, Dr. Elders, Dr. Croom were regulars. I even bought 3 of my favorite nurses Vera Bradley bags. I'm telling you they were wonderful. Misti Walton and Amber in ICU, and Rhonda Bell was my floor nurse. I had surgery on Thursday and went home that next Monday. A day early they said. I am doing great and John and my Mom and Dad have been here with me everyday. Mom and Dad do all the laundry and take care of me during the day and then John and Seth take over at night. I feel good but I can't lift anything over 5 pounds and I am suppose to be careful and not lift my arms over my shoulders. (Makes for some pretty bad hair days) The only real problem is I can't drive for 30 days!!! What!! My Mom and Dad will take we where I need to go. I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and that will be my first day out. I have already asked them to take me to the Scrapbook Addiction first!!! My studio is upstairs so the second night home John was kind enough to set me up a scrap area in our bedroom and we brought down a bunch of stuff. It made me feel soo much better just touching everything. Anyway, thank you for all of your prayers, food, gifts, and flowers, but most of all I feel very thankful and blessed to have you as my friend.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are all so Blessed to have a fabulous lady like you in our lives! I am soooo happy that you are feeling better! You are such a trooper! We miss you girl!
Brandi

Unknown said...

Oh Cathy, I just want to give you a great big hug when I see you! I am so thankful you are okay!! Thank you so much for sharing your story with others so that it may help someone. So funny how life's unexpected turns can transform how you feel and think.
I have missed seeing you!
Denise

Anne-Camille Collins said...

I am so glad that you are feeling better. I have been praying for you since I heard the news. That is so wonderful that your husband set up a scrap area for you since you couldn't make it to your studio ...

Anonymous said...

Hey Cathy, Thanks so much for sharing your story. Most all of us need to watch our health closer than we do!! I am so happy you are feeling better. You are in my prayers!
Miss you,
Bev

dragonflydreamer said...

I don't know you, but after reading your blog, I am glad that you listened to your body and went to have yourself checked out to be safe. I am thankful that you have been healed and you are sharing your story so that other women will realized that a woman's symptoms for heart problems can be very different than mens. God Bless you.